Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Glazed Carrots

I recently was treated to an amazing culinary course this past weekend thanks to my most amazing friend.  Though not what I expected, I left the class feeling better then ever about my refrigerator and it's contents.   My relationship with recipes has never been too strict but I still always get the nagging feeling of "Well nope!  Can't make that one...I'm missing that one ingredient."  Michelle Reynolds helped to allow me feel even more confident when I open up the doors to that chilly box.  Anything is possible with what you have on hand...unless of course your pantry, cupboards and freezer are completely empty.  Then you're S.O.L. Sorry.
  But on the upside, I participate in the most unbelievable program called Bountiful Baskets.  If you don't know what it is...stay tuned.  I'll be posting pictures.  Quick run down is that you pay a contribution fee every week or two and you get a large supply of fresh regional produce.  It is then up to you what to do with it all!  That's the exciting part for me because *insert Forest Gump voice here* you never know what you're gonna get.  I recently received plantains which sat next to my potatoes for a few weeks until I discovered that nothing can taste bad with rum, butter, maple syrup and a few fresh cracks of cinnamon!  Especially when drizzled with vanilla yogurt.  : )
  Now keeping this all in mind...I went to go make dinner last night.  I opened up the doors and checked out my carrots that are near their end.  I hate throwing away food so I decided this would be the staple of my side dish.  That's when some Balsamic Glazed Carrots came to mind.  I had some cabbage, also from my basket, that had been sitting around a while and some frozen french cut green beans.  Sounds like the making of a healthy yet satisfying accompaniment.
  Again...camera down so there won't be pictures for a while but let's just say this dish was so tasty that my son was begging for more!  Yay!!  Success!!

Balsamic-E Veggies
4 carrots - peeled and cut into 2" sticks
3/4 c. thinly sliced cabbage
1/2 c. frozen french cut green beans
2-3 cloves garlic - chopped
2 tbsp hoisin sauce (from the amazing Teriyaki company...you know the one I'm talking about.  I accidentally purchased this flavor variety but was shooting for the veri teriyaki so use that if it's in your cupboard)
1/4 c. balsmic vinegar
2 tbsp unpacked brown sugar
Sprinkle of kosher salt

Heat oil in skillet and add carrots.  I had some wok oil sitting around and thought that would add a nice flare.  Get a nice sear on the carrots and add remaining veggies and garlic.  I covered my carrots and sauteed about 5-7 minutes.  Cook for an additional 2 minutes and add in Hoisin sauce and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with salt, sugar and toss.  Place in preheated oven (350) for about 15 minutes while you finish up the rest of your meal.  Serve over rice, couscous, quinoa for even more satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment