Search This Blog

Friday, January 27, 2012

Leftover grain = Amazing quick breakfast!

Happy Friday to everyone!
 
As the craziness of moving seems to be settling down, I realize the importance of starting your day on the right foot.  I.E. Starting it with the right things in your belly.  Most days I normally start my eating routine about 9 or 10 though my kiddos wake up at 6.  It just seems to be the time that I can actually sit down and eat which as other parents may know, can be a rarity.  Quickness is also key to eating great in the morning.  If you fill your face with high sugar cereals and empty calorie juice, you simply won't have the energy to sustain you throughout your day.  So let's look at what you had for dinner last night...

Did you happen to have a side of rice?  Or quinoa?  Or couscous?  Well why not make a little extra next time and save it for the morning?  I was inspired by my pantry this week.  I have all these bulk grains that *tisk*tisk*, I didn't label.  Insert frownie face here.  I'm not the best at deciphering between them all in their raw form so I've decided to cook up these so-called mystery grains.  My first adventure left me with this slightly chewy, nutty, almost sweet tasting grain that I have determined to be oh so wonderful barley.  And I have quite a bit of it!  So after mixing it into some baby food and forming it into patties with red beans, I still had a few cups left.  So of course...I make breakfast!  My favorite meal of the day.

This recipe is pretty adaptable to your taste buds.  Feel free to substitute any leftover grain you might have in your fridge.  I would recommend something on the sturdier side.  As with the others I mentioned, forbidden black rice would be another excellent choice.



Rise & Shine Breakfast Barley
1/2 c. cooked grain (Barley)
1/4 c. lite coconut milk (or any other milk you prefer though I like the thickness of coconut)
2 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 c. cranberries
1/4 c. unsweetened coconut
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp coriander
1 orange of choice (I used mandarin)

Mix together all ingredients except for grain and heat on medium for 1-2 minutes.  Add in grain and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Garnish with zest of orange. And peeled slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment