Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Banana Crumb Muffins

Good Morning!
  It has been so long since my last blog I felt it necessary to post this recipe.  I think I'll do some back entries too though I do not have photos to go along with them.
  Every morning that I work at the Brew Pub, I do my best to bring in baked goods.  They like to eat them but secretly I'm looking for reviews of my baking skills.  So far no one seems to be complaining!  While I normally try to do healthy recipes, this one is definitely bending some rules.  In the future, I might sub out some of the white sugar for maple syrup, agave or honey.  I would also try to sneak in some shredded zuchinni. This time around, I just wanted something delicious and simple but of course I had to throw in a little twist.  In half of the muffins I filled the center with a peanut butter and honey concoction.  If I had cream cheese, I would have blended the PB and honey together with the cream cheese.  I think this might have set these over the top but we shall wait till delivery to find out if I hit another home run!


 

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • 3/4 cup white sugar *I reduced to 1/2 c.*
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup butter, melted *Replaced totally with 1/3 c canola oil*
  • 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 tablespoon butter

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease 10 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.
  3. In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1 tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.
  4. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean. 
 *I sprinkled a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg into the dry batter before I added the banana mixture.  To the mixture I added a splash of vanilla extract...what is a muffin without a little vanilla??

 

No comments:

Post a Comment