Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cranberry 'Cookies'



After my cooking marathon that you might have read about in Lemon Pesto Sauce Recipe, I was left with some canned pumpkin.  Normally I would throw them into some pancakes and freeze but as you might imagine...I was fresh out of freezer space.  Even the ice machine was being used to store all the goodies I made!  Yikes!  So I searched for some inspiration online via my business page, Round the Table, and folks shouted bread or pancakes.  I decided to take it a step further as we were missing our dessert fix.  Out of this one little can I was able to make a dozen Cocoa Pumpkin Muffins with Cherries (scented with Cinnamon and Cayenne) and also had about 10 little of these pumpkin delights. 

 Prior to baking

This is a rough recipe but I think you will find it suitable for the end product.  Which is far less like a cookie than I had hoped but much more like a breakfast bar which a delightful surprise.  With all this being said, do not attempt to hand these out as cookies to unsuspecting 3 year olds.  They will not be fooled.  When they think cookie, they're wanting that sugar high which you will not find here.  

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cranberry 'Cookies'
1/2 c. canned pumpkin
1 1/2 c. oats
2 tbsp flax seed - ground
1/2 - 1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 - 1 c. coconut milk
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1/4 c. agave
1/4 c. maple syrup

Mix dry ingredients with a whisk. Mix wet ingredients together.  Add to dry.  Stir till just incorporated and add in cranberries.  Drop onto lined baking sheet.  Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.  You should be able to pick these little gems up and the bottom will be golden and browned.   Store in an openish container - like an open ziploc bag or a container with a very loose fitting lid.  They could be frozen as well and thawed when you need a nice filling snack!  Thaw in microwave for about 60-90 seconds and enjoy.  
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment